Fall 2018 Schedule
Southwest VA Higher Ed Center
Department of Social Services
Embassy Suites - Coliseum
Trinity Family Life Center
Westerre Conference Center
Salem Civic Center
TCC/VA Beach Joint Use Library
Hampton Inn & Suites
*See the locations and directions page for details about each training site
At the end of this training, participants will have an:
- Increased understanding of the terms person-centered care, ageism, autonomy, paternalism, elderhood, and social connectedness.
- Increased understanding about the value of person-centered care for all persons.
- Increased ability to recognize the harms caused by ageism.
- Increased ability to identify ways to avoid and address ageism.
- Increased ability to identify ways to increase social engagement and connecteness.
- (ADMIN DATE) Increased understanding about the unique roll the Administrator plays in directing culture change away from ageism toward elderhood.
Why this is important
Our lifetime exposure to ageist stereotypes, biases, and negative language puts us at an increased risk for negative health outcomes. Ageism affects everyone at any stage in their lives, and is a significant barrier to providing person-centered care for residents in assisted living and participants in adult day programs.
In our new training specifically for Administrators, we also discuss the unique opportunity and responsibility administrators have to lead the culture development in their organizations. This new pilot training program recognizes the important need for administrators to have tailored training on these essential topics.
Please note: Registration and payment must be received at the Department of Gerontology 10 business days prior to the training date. Certificates of attendance will not be available at the training for individuals with late registrations and payments, but will be mailed at a later date.
We do accept online registration and credit card payments. You can click this link to register and pay online.
If you need to register and pay by mail or fax, you can download our brochure to fax and mail your registration and payment. If you have trouble accessing this pdf, please contact us at 804-828-1565 and we can assist you.