Spring 2019 Schedule
Mental Health and Well-being in Aging: What You Can Do to Help
These programs are scheduled from 9:00am - 12:00pm. Sign-in begins at 8:30am.
Southwest VA Higher Ed Center
Department of Social Services
Embassy Suites - Coliseum
Trinity Family Life Center
Westerre Conference Center
Salem Civic Center
TCC/VA Beach Joint Use Library
Hampton Inn & Suites
*See the locations and directions page for details about each training site
At the end of this training, participants will have an:
- Increased understanding that good mental health is a critical component of older adults' overall well-being
- Increased understanding of mental illnesses that may occur in elderhood
- Increased ability to investigate individuals' mental wellness
- Increased awareness of hoe to promote good mental health for older adults in care communities
- Increased ability to link individuals and families to necessary and appropriate community mental health resources
Why this is important
Mental illnesses have varying impacts randing from no discernable impairment to moderate or even severe impairment. This training discusses practical approaches to maximizing residents' mental health and wellness. Tips and links to community resources and treatments options are provided.
Please note: Registration and payment must be received at the Department of Gerontology 10 business days prior to the training date. Certificates of attendance will not be available at the training for individuals with late registrations and payments, but will be mailed at a later date.
We do accept online registration and credit card payments. You can click this link to register and pay online.
If you need to register and pay by mail or fax, you can download our brochure to fax and mail your registration and payment. If you have trouble accessing this pdf, please contact us at 804-828-1565 and we can assist you.