Fall Training Conference
Wednesday. November 6th
Westminster Canterbury, Richmond | Cochrane Commons Room
1600 Westbrook Ave, Richmond, VA 23227
Parking: Azalea Mall lot, shuttles will be available.
Sessions for the day will include:
- Trauma and Resilience: Reconnecting to Sources of Strengths
- 5B: The Trauma of AIDS and the Caring Response by Healthcare Professionals in San Francisco in the early 80's
- Understanding Trauma's Impact on Mental Health in Later Life
- Utilizing Person-Centered Approach to Care: Communication and Understanding Behaviors
Breakfast and lunch will be provided! This is a great Networking opportunity!
At the end of this training, participants will have an increased:
- Ability to define trauma and resilience
- Ability to explain the body's fight-flight-freeze and rest and digest responses
- Ability to explore trauma-informed care and pathways of change
- Ability to explain trauma-informed and person-centered principles as it relates to a diverse population
- Ability to apply holistic well-being strategies to care practices
- Ability to explain the potential for trauma to have lingering mental health impacts in later life
- Ability to apply strategies to explore and recognize an individual's traumatic experiences and connect them to supportive resources
- Ability to identify two principles of person-centered care
- Ability to identify three effective communication strategies for communicating with persons living with dementia
Why this is important
Person-centered approaches are the foundation of long-term community care and resident rights. This conference will better prepare participants to recognize where person-centered care can be improved and help highlight how trauma may be addressed in their community. This conference will spread awareness to key community stakeholders on the importance of a healthy environment for a diverse community with person-centered practices.
Please note: Registration and payment must be received at the Department of Gerontology 10 business days prior to the training date. Certificates of attendance will not be available at the training for individuals with late registrations and payments, but will be mailed at a later date.
We do accept online registration and credit card payments. You can click this link to register and pay online.
If you need to register and pay by mail or fax, you can download our brochure to fax and mail your registration and payment. If you have trouble accessing this pdf, please contact us at 804-828-1565 and we can assist you.
Fall 2019 Conference Brochure