The purpose of our programs is threefold:
1) To train qualified professionals to work in administrative, planning, service delivery and instructional and staff development positions in programs and services for elders at the national, state and local levels
2) To provide an opportunity for those studying in other disciplines, and whose work will encompass service to the aged, to integrate their own training with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the aging process and
3) To stimulate the design and execution of gerontological research across the multiple disciplines.
Click on any of the programs on the left menu to see more information.
Master of Science in Gerontology
- The program can be completed in-person, online, or a hybrid of both.
- Our Assisted Living Adminsitration speciality area is the only NAB-accredited program in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Our students get jobs! 100% of our students are employed following graduation.
The Certificate in Aging Studies is a post-baccalaureate graduate certificate program that can be completed on its own, or as part of a combined program outlined below.
The Department of Gerontology, in cooperation with other programs at the university, provides students intersted in working with elders or in gerontological settings with the opportunity to complete the Certificate in Aging Studies while also completing requirements for other degree programs, including:
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D)